- A breast lift — also known as mastopexy — is a surgical procedure performed by a plastic surgeon to change the shape of your breasts.
- During a breast lift, excess skin is removed and breast tissue is reshaped to raise the breasts.
- You might choose to have a breast lift if your breasts sag or your nipples point downward.
- A breast lift might also boost your self-image and self-confidence.A breast lift won’t significantly change the size of your breasts. However, a breast lift can be done in combination with breast augmentation or breast reduction.
Why it’s done
As you get older, your breasts change — losing elasticity and firmness. There are many causes for these kinds of breast changes, including:
- During pregnancy, the ligaments that support your breasts might stretch as your breasts get fuller and heavier. This stretching might contribute to sagging breasts after pregnancy — whether or not you breast-feed your baby.
- Weight fluctuations.Changes in your weight can cause your breast skin to stretch and lose elasticity.
- Over time, gravity causes ligaments in the breasts to stretch and sag.